Thursday, October 28, 2010

WTH Adult Trick or treater's

Ok here's one for you. I know you are all thinking it, but I am just going to say it! Parents, Halloween is for kids! Not 6' 1 adults caring around a pillow case for candy. There are two types of adult trick or treater's.

There are the adults who walk their kids around and have the GUTS to stick out their pillow case for candy, you all know the type! WTH, really? You need to trick or treat for your own supply of candy? As if your kid isn't going to get enough to carry him/her for months. Why not teach your kids of the art of "sharing" and share their candy instead. Trust me, it will prevent you from being the talk at the water cooler or on some crazy persons blog the next day. It's just not right.

Then, there is the adult that is trick or treating for their 1 month old who is passed out in the carrier in the stroller. Really? You are going to physically feed your tiny baby candy, really? And they always tell you, as though it's helping them not look silly, "oh, this is for the baby..." Yeah, sure it is, your better off just holding the bag out for yourself. Leave the poor baby out of it. It's CLEARLY for you.

I lied, there is one more type of adult trick or treater's. These are the adults who come around in a group of 2-3 and actually say trick or treat at your door. While this is much more rare, it still happens!! If you really need candy that bad, here's an idea, go to Sam's club, shell out $10 for one of those giant mixed bags of candy and save your self the embarrassment. Is it really worth it??

Happy Halloween - that's my "WTH" for Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. HAHA!!! I know! last year at an 'event' you know the one lol, when an adult would walk past with a baby... i'd say to my kids 'I got this one' and no candy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's insane. One year, about a year out of college, I was living with my girlfriend and we were passing out candy for halloween. A 15 year old boy came up with two 15 year old girls (I know the ages, because I asked), when I asked him what he was (clearly thinking I knew what he was), he said, "I'm a pimp, and these are my hoes" and the two girls looks trashier than hookers you would find on 8 mile. My mouth hit the ground, I said "Do your parents know you are dressed this way?? The one girl said her mom helped pick out her outfit!!! UNREAL!!! I know this doesn't have anything to do with the adults trick or treating... but I told those kids, sorry no candy. I just couldn't believe what I had just heard. It was horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable.

    Wait, I take that back Megan. The garbage filled media promotes this disturbing mind set. Why are parents so willing to let their kids absorb mass quanities of it instead of spending REAL quality time with them?

    That's the real issue here.

    While channel surfing, I saw a segment of a stupid sitcom that's helping perpetuate this nonsense. A pre-teen girl is getting ready to go Trick-Or-Treating and looks for all the world like a street whore.

    Someone asks what she is, and she replies "I'm a slutty cat." The canned laughter signals that this is SUPPOSED to be funny. Oh, and it's just a "cat," right?

    WRONG.

    And then clueless parents wonder why little Susie is pregnant at age 12.

    DUH.

    Parents need to get this right, but they're falling down on the job horribly. And the sad thing is, many of them don't even realize it until little Susie ends up at the abortion clinic.

    They don't talk to their kids for any length of time about things that truly matter in life. There's plenty of cute text messages and Tweets, but what about a good old fashioned hug and an occasional "I love you"?

    There's a place for fantasy role-playing in Halloween for sure. It's the very essence of the event.

    But anything can be corrupted, even by well meaning people. As the saying goes, "The path to hell is paved with good intentions."

    I wrote a short story called "To Feel Like A Kid Again," and it espouses the Old School Leave It To Beaver mind-set I'm proud to say I grew up with.

    I'll post it separately after this soon.

    You'll see how Halloween has always been very dear to my heart, for reasons that remain long after the last Snickers bar is gone and have nothing to do with human reproduction!

    Some would say the "good 'ole days" are gone, slipping into never-never land with every kid that eagerly jumps on the immorality band wagon that has become socially acceptable.

    But I say that it's still a matter of choice, the choices made by the PARENTS...not the impressionable kids. It ALL goes back to the upbringing and what seeds are planted at an early age.

    "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." Sound familiar? I hope so, for your kids sake. And my peace of mind.

    Please pass the HoneyCrisps.

    ReplyDelete